Individuals struggling with sexual addiction present with a variety of symptoms. Patrick Carnes created a short six question test to help guide individuals. The PATHOS test below provides a simple test to determine if additional screening may be helpful. The test is not definitive, but meant to be a guide. Read through the following six questions, responding yes or no to each question.
- Do you often find yourself preoccupied with sexual thoughts? (Preoccupied)
- Do you hide some of your sexual behavior from others? (Ashamed)
- Have you ever sought help for sexual behavior you did not like? (Treatment)
- Has anyone been hurt emotionally because of your sexual behavior? (Hurt others)
- Do you feel controlled by your sexual desire? (Out of Control)
- When you have sex, do you feel depressed afterwards? (Sad)
If you, or a loved one, answer affirmative to two or more of the following questions, one may be struggling with sexual addiction. Answering yes to two or more of these questions does not diagnose you as struggling with a sexual addiction; it simply means a more thorough testing is encouraged. A simple option is a consultation session with a trained therapist specializing in sexual addiction. If the PATHOS test affirmed your suspicions, or you desire to talk with a professional about sexual addiction, we are available to help. You can reach us on our contact page, or simply click the button below.
Hope for a Better Future
Struggling with a sexual addiction, or being in a relationship with one, is nothing to be ashamed of. The greatest injuries come from denying a problem’s existence, hurting oneself and others oner time. Restorations Therapy Center exists because we have felt the pain of sexual addiction, striving to help anyone in that pain. We are living proof of a better life, one not ruled by one’s sexual desires, but by one’s own heart. Hope exists for everyone. Whether you believe you deserve that future or not, we are here to tell you one simply trust, you desire a bright future. Let us support you one that journey. We are here to help!