Help for Partners of Sex Addicts
Partners of sex addicts may experience a significant amount of trauma themselves. From the trauma of learning about their partner’s actions, to the prolonged trauma of an unhealthy marriage, partners need support to help process their experiences. Feelings of anger and pain are normal for partners, and you should not go through these feelings alone. Restorations Therapy Center provides levels of support for spouses in their own recovery process. Roughly 80% of individuals in our program struggling with a sexual addiction have their partner receiving the care and attention they need to work through their own pain.
The support for partners varies greatly depending on the situation. Many partners attend individual therapy to look at their own feelings around their partner’s addiction and it’s impact on them. RTC highly suggests groups for Partners of Addicts, a place to find community and support through this difficult time. Important ideas for partners addressed are:
- Your spouses problem is sex addiction, it’s not your problem.
- Recovery involves working through the pain, where things often feel worse before feeling better.
- You need to heal, too!
- How to create healthy boundaries in your relationship.
- Trust can be rebuilt, but through hard work.
- Support from other partners of addicts who understand your shock and pain is integral to your health.
Addiction influences every part of life, from family, work, and friends, to self-esteem; recovery bring health and wholeness to everything. Learn about our powerful recovery process.
When a relationship takes a hit, no matter who's at fault, both partners have had to pay a price. Couples therapy provides a safe place to face the hurts and together work toward restoration.